Trip Report by SBS March 2004


Touched down at Penang Airport at 8.45am from KLIA. (We were at KL for three days),all 8 of us ready to start our adventure. Purchase the taxi coupons (2 Taxis) at the Airport Counter for RM28 each to Berjaya Hotel. After the normal procedure of checking in, we hopped on a bus (just in front of the hotel) to Komtar.(80 cents). Walk a short distance to Chulia Street to rent our motorbikes.(as recommended by Kayes) At RM20 per day with a deposit of RM100 per bike, inclusive of 8 helmets, it was a good bargain.

Last time we chance upon a shop selling Roasted duck by the name of Wei Wong Roasted Duck at Carnarvon Street, but to our dismay, the shop was closed and were told that the owner have moved. So we went to a shop also selling roasted duck, opposite Wei Wong, and it was just as delicious and very cheap.(It only cost us RM37) After having our lunch,we set out to explore the island..Then suddenly, something unfortunate happen. One of my friends' handbeg was snatched by a lone motorcyclist. Fortunately for her, her handbeg snap, otherwise she would have fallen from her bike (she is riding pillion). We started to give chase, but the thief have a good start and we lost him somewhere in the side lane of Jl. Macalister. Luckily, she has the foresight of keeping her cash seperately and lost a camera, bank book, ATM card and a few personnel items. A police report was made and somehow the incident spoilt our mood and we went back to our hotel. We have our dinner (in the form of char kueh teow, fried oyster,Penang Prawn mee, etc) at New Lane, the favourite of Kayes.

The next day was Round Island Tour. We started at about 10.30am towards Jl.Tanjung Bungah, past Tanjung Tokong, proceeding uphill to admire the many beach hotels and resorts at Batu Ferringhi, into Teluk Bahang and stop at the Batik Factory. We were given a tour and how they make the Batik by the friendly workers and admire the beautiful finished products at their aircon. showroom (enjoy the cool air inside as it was a hot day). The Butterfly Farm was just a short distance from here and it was worth a visit. Then the road becomes real winding as we continue our journey, past a few fruits farm, but not the season, also a big reserviour. We must have chosen a wrong turning, because we end up in a small village. After some refreshment and enquiry, we proceed on our adventure towards the signboard which reads Balik Pulau. After sometime we reach Bayan Lepas where we stop at the Snake Temple. As recommended by Pei, we keep on the coastal highway to USM, Glugor and then north into Georgetown. Stop to fill up our empty stomach and back to Pulau Tikus, via Jl.Burmah to our hotel at about 6.30pm. It was indeed an enjoyable experience.

The next day, we set off to the Historical town of Taiping..The journey past the Penang Bridge was a good experience. The North-South Expressway has nothing much to offer as we continue on our journey and reach Taiping some 2 hrs.later, after a few stops. The town of Taipin was very beautiful, especially the Museum and other goverment buildings. And of course, the Zoo. Like Kayes said, it was the best zoo (probadly better than KL). On the way back we stop at the Megamal, do some shopping and reach our hotel at 8.30pm. A few of us suffer sunburn and the smarter one manage to bring along their jacket..We all have sore bottoms.

The 3rd. day was the city tour.Kek Lok Si Temple at Air Itam, Penang Hill (didn't go up), Jl.Datuk Keramat to Cheong Fatt Sze Mansion, Khoo Kongsi, the many streets of old Georgetown.Weld Quay past the Ferry Terminal,Fort Cornwallis, China Town, the many Lebuh (streets) again and have the famous ice kachang at Swatow Lane. At about 9pm we reluctanly surrender back the bikes. While we were walking back towards Komtar from Chulia Street, we happen to see quite a lot of customers in a particular shop. They were selling Fish head Beehoon and fried mee. They were indeed delicious and yes, we also buy Yu Char Kuah (80cents each),on the way. We took a bus back to our hotel and started to pack our bags for an early flight to KL. Stay in KL for another 2 days and back to Kuching with fond memories, with a promise by everyone to come back for more adventure.